Alfa Romeo Abarth Fiat Exhaust Gas Recirculation/EGR Valve Replacement Service 03-93599499 Melbourne
What is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation/EGR Valve all about?
HOW DO EGR VALVES WORK?
- The EGR Valve creates a loop back from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold to recirculate burnt gases.
- The EGR valve has a solenoid which controls the valve which in turn is controlled by the ECU.
- The ECU operates the solenoid by using a duty request cycle in order to open the valve and recirculate the burnt gases.
- The Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor is then used to record the amount of additional gas which subsequently feeds back to the ECU as a control measure.
EGR VALVE PROBLEMS
As the EGR valve is constantly working with burnt exhaust gases they naturally have high soot content. This soot in the gases causes a build-up of carbon deposits around the valve operation area which in turn causes the valve to have a tendency to stick in various positions. For full engine performance the EGR valve is closed which creates a closed loop environment for the turbo system which allows it to pressurise. A problematic EGR can create an open loop environment for the turbo as it provides a feedback straight to the intake manifold and as a result can cause boost issues along with huge reductions in power and also fuel economy!
How it’s done:
- Scan the computer system in the car.
- Check all vacuum related hoses to EGR valve.
- Test EGR transducer.
- Verify the EGR port is not plugged.
- Remove and replace the EGR valve.
- Clean the carbon deposit on EGR pintle.
- Clear the trouble codes and test for proper operation of EGR valve.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Exhaust Gas Recirculation/EGR Valve?
- Check Engine light is on.
- Possible loss of power.
- Car will not run smoothly (shake, stumble, may stall).
How important is this service?
The EGR valve helps your vehicle recycle gas. The EGR valve is responsible for taking the gas that comes out of the engine, and sending it through the intake manifold, where the engine can utilize it again. Without the EGR valve your vehicle will not recycle and reuse any of its gas, which increases the emissions. Without the EGR, your car will not pass an emission inspection.